Sunday, February 4, 2007

On sleeping with addicts.

I was hanging out with some friends last night and I thought of another category of folks that I shouldn't sleep with or get romantically involved with. Drug addicts. Understand that I don't have a problem with drugs. In fact, I think all narcotics should be legal and regulated. I have a whole plan that involves the legislature as well as the criminal sphere; it deals with the argument that drugs bring with them a criminal element. The plan would require lengthy explanation, so for once, I'll just leave it at that. My point? This isn't about judgment or ill will towards addicts, or any of that stuff. It's just something I don't want to deal with in a relationship.

Why?

Drug addicts lie. About how much they use. About if they use. About how much money they spend on whatever they're using. This lying isn't a character flaw, per se. It's just goes along with the addiction most times. Furthermore, so many addicts are in denial. I've explained to people that I don't think less of them because of their addictions, but that I won't get involved with them nonetheless. "I'm not an addict," the guy who blows through two eight balls a week tells me. According to him, because he doesn't use every day, he's not an addict. Right.

Even more importantly, the drugs will always come first. Before me. Before us. Drugs make an awful mistress.

No comments: