Saturday, February 17, 2007

Kindred spirits.

My best friend called me the other night simply because he and I haven't talked -- really talked -- in a long while. I asked him about his new main squeeze, and we chit-chatted about all sorts of nonsense, as we usually do.

What I love about him is the fact that I don't need to explain anything. He gets what I'm saying... really gets it without the need for further exposition. I began describing the bored and restless feeling I've had lately. The need for some sort of dynamic lifestyle. I started explaining to him that everything is good in my life. Work is good, friends are good, everything is as it should be... but I am bored nontheless and need something -- anything -- to liven life up again.

Instead of mountains of questions and requests for clarifications, he simply agreed with me. "You don't have to explain," he said. "I get it." And he does.

We talked some more and it was then that I realized that when he and I spend time together, I'm never bored. We are vastly different people, but have a strange symbiotic relationship that just works. It's great. It's fabulous.

Why can't I find this in a romantic context? Why is it so hard to find someone who will let me be myself without getting jealous and possessive?

I've often told people that I have a morbid curiosity to see what happens next, which is how I end up in ridiculously comical situations all the time. My best friend has that same insatiable curiosity. And that's what I need in life. A partner in crime willing to take on anything, no matter how ridiculous, and no matter how nonsensical. Someone brilliant and wise and passionate who understands my need for perpetual motion.

No comments: