Monday, January 8, 2007

Violated!

I try not to write about work for two primary reasons. The first reason is the more obvious of the two: I can't divulge privileged information. That's why when I do mention anything work-related, it's only in a very general sense. The second reason is that I just don't want to be that girl who always talks or writes about work. It's boring. However, I would like to discuss something.

Violation of probation (VOP) hearings.

When an individual is placed on probation, he signs conditions of probation. Generally, that person is required to report to the probation department every so often and pay a probation fee. In some cases, individuals may be required to participate in anger management, drug treatment, or be subject to random urine screenings. If someone fails to meet any of these conditions, or if he picks up a new charge while on probation, he is violated.

Being violated is pretty much what is sounds like. It's like having a proverbial two-feet-wide splintery broom handle shoved up the client's rectum. I have a VOP hearing tomorrow. Which means I have to go to court in the morning and tell my client to bend over.

Update: This was my first VOP. And oddly enough, the outcome was extremely favorable.

No comments: