Sunday, January 14, 2007

Back to the future.

I was a very forward-thinking young person. So much so that when I was eight years old, I decided that far too many adults do not remember what it is like to be a child. Not ever wanting to be one of those adults, I wrote myself a letter to be opened when I became an adult. I realized that when I grew up, I'd want to know what Eight Year Old Becca had been thinking. Using my best handwriting, I penned the letter, folded it, and sealed it up into an envelope. I pondered how old I would be when I "grew up." After reaching a decision, I wrote on the outside of the envelope, "Do not open until you are 27."

Sadly, although I was a forward-thinking yong person, I was not a particularly patient child. I opened the letter less than a week after I'd written it.

There are three days left of my twenty-seventh year. I wish like hell I still had that letter.

No comments: