Sunday, November 25, 2007

What is your city built on?

As many of you know, Jefferson Starship believes that "this city" was built on rock and roll.

In an effort not to work on my motion to suppress scheduled for tomorrow, I have decided to do some research regarding what various cities have been built on. Because surely, they can't all be built on rock and roll.

As it turns out, the city in which I live is built both on "compliments by many people" as well as on "the Connecticut River flood plain." Not as exciting as being built on rock and roll, is it?

So I've turned to the city in which I currently work. Ah. It's built on "low and level ground."

Boring!

What about Columbus, Ohio, where I went to high school? A tad bit more interesting: "The real Columbus is built on the people whose families have been here for more then a century, the hard working men and women who work the land." This should not be confused with the Knights of Columbus, which is built on patriotism. (Clearly, Columbus, Ohio is not built on patriotism.)

I've lived in other places, as well. Like Boston. And let me tell you, Boston is a jackpot. It's built on "specific types of man-made land." Other parts of Boston are built on tidal flats. In short, Boston is built on a collection of peninsulas.

And so it goes. Having established that few, in any cities, are built on rock and roll, I ask you, gentle readers, to share: What is your city built on?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, mine is built upon flammable substances that slide down hillsides during earthquakes... Please note, this brings new meaning to "rock and roll," especially during mudslide season. :-D