Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Don't use Bank of America.

Let this be a recommendation not to use Bank of America.

I was formerly a BankBoston customer. Which then got bought by Fleet. Which was then bought by Bank of America. My primary checking account is t an online checking account that bears an interest rate of over 4%. I still maintain my Bank of America account so that I can deposit my house-mate's rent check without having to mail it in. That is the only thing I use it for. However, to avoid a maintenance fee, I need to keep a balance of $750 in the account. While I can do this, I find it annoying.

So. I decided to see if there's any way I can reduce my minimum balance without paying a maintenance fee (which is ridiculous, really; they're the ones making money by holding my cash; I get little out of it). I saw a Special Offer(!) on the web site. For a Limited Time Only, Bank of America was waiving the service fee on a different account that did not require a minimum balance.

Awesome. I called and switched.

Then I read the fine print. And called back.

As it turns out, in order to waive the fee, one needs to have at least one monthly direct deposit into the account. Unless, of course, one opens the account online. 'Cause it's an Exclusive Online Offer. Which, as I mentioned, is for a Limited Time Only. I don't do direct deposit on that account; it goes into my online interest-bearing account.

So I called back. And confirmed that they are, indeed, assholes.

Me: So you're telling me that your existing customers have to pay the fee, while new customers do not?

Phone Rep: Well, it is a promotional offer.

Me: Well, switch my account back. Which I will be closing next week.

Phone Rep: Sure. Is there anything else we can help you with today?

Don't use Bank of America.

I'll keep you posted on who has better deals.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as a commonwealth employee, you can get a good account at Citizens bank without any fees.
you can also get a discount on verizon.

SaucyVixen said...

Anon,

Thanks for the info. Sadly, however, my current tenure ends in about two weeks.

I'm just miffed and irritated. It happens.

Unknown said...

BOA is actually Satan.

Ing Direct is an online bank. Not sure if that fits your needs.
http://www.ingdirect.com/osa_google/

Also, credit unions (in which, with your bar membership, you should be able to participate) sometimes have decent rates.

Additionally, for a comparison, I have utilized bankrate in the past.

http://bankrate.com/

I have not had a BOA account in at least 6 years. They upset me to the point that I didn't want to bank IN America anymore. Good luck finding a new bank. And definitely tell BOA they are losing your business because they have lost the meaning of customer retention. I already have many many friends who are recovering BOA customers...