Wednesday, September 19, 2007

You can't keep a good man (or sex offender) down.

Many of you already know about the saga of my sex offender. The one who plead to failing to register, and was then held on a violation of his community parole supervision for life because he was homeless. People who kept track of the story may also remember that I filed a habeas in the matter. And they may also remember that he was released the day before the hearing was to go before the judge.

Pesky little suckers. Not letting me litigate the issue of an unconstitutional imposition of lifetime community parole.

About a week after he was released, I got a call from his parole officer. "He has absconded," she told me. "He is in violation of his parole."

I haven't heard from him since his release. To my knowledge, he hasn't turned up yet.

I wish him well.

* * *

Post Script. What this means is that if he does turn up, I'll have another issue to litigate. He was already violated once. Another violation would place him in jail for six months instead of thirty days. And so the issue the next time around will be appealing the first violation as unconstitutional on the basis that the only basis for the purported violation the first time around was his homelessness.

2 comments:

Paul Bourque said...

It's funny how you call him "my sex offender." Like if you have your very own personal sex offender!

Anonymous said...

Well, apparently no one else is claiming him, thus resulting in his initial homelessness. Right?

Oh wait, I forgot, the state reserves the right to house and claim sex offenders "for the good of the community." Those pesky civil rights.