Thursday, September 13, 2007

Calling all the ladies.

I was talking to a friend of mine about going to the gynecologist. I hadn't gone since November 2002. She was appalled. When asked why I hadn't gone, I explained that I hate being told how unhealthy I am. And I hate being weighed.

She explained that going to the gynecologist isn't all that bad. She explained her last visit. How her lady doctor (and I don't mean lady parts doctor; her doc is a woman) warmed the instruments before inserting them. She held them under the light and them ran warm water over them. She made the trip to the gynecologist like a spa for the pussy. She probably even sprinkled my friend's vagina with tea tree and lavender oil, too. They do that sort of stuff in Crunchy Town, where my friend lives.

And then the lady doctor inserted her finger into my friend's rectum.

This has never happened to me before. No one has ever digitally violated me at the gynecologist's office. I always thought that they were separate parts, and that the gynecologist had no business going there. She got me all paranoid that I'd be getting something shoved past my most southern sphincter during my doctor's visit this afternoon. I am happy to report that this did not happen.

My question to all you ladies out there is: Is it normal to have a digital rectal exam during a regular maintenance trip to the gynecologist? I'm curious as to what others have experienced.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Wow. I've been going to the gyno for 10 years and I've never had a rectal exam.. ever.

PD Lisa said...

I had the rectal added this year - although the dr warned me before he moved to the new region - claimed that it was because I've now passed the big "4 0" but this just seems like extra punishment for getting old.

Anonymous said...

I had it happen my first time, and never since. The doc didn't tell me she was going to do that--my butt literally flew in the air as I attempted a backbend while in stirrups and half-shouting "whoa". The doc laughed so hard she had to leave the room because she couldn't get herself composed. She came back about 5 minutes later, but still had trouble keeping a straight face.

Marissa Dupont said...

It's happened to me the last two or three times I went. They warned me ahead of time every time.