Thursday, September 13, 2007

Time to change.

I went for my annual today. I was not happy about this. I knew they would put me on their evil scale and then prod my lady parts with their devil tools. Truth is, the worst part was the weigh-in. I'm at my top weight. This is not good.

When I asked the doc about birth control (even though I smoke), he told me that he'd give it to me not because it's a good idea, but because even though I'm a smoker, I'm under thirty-five.

In the end, he essentially told me what my last doc told me at my last annual exam in 2002 (albeit in a more polite manner): I've overweight, don't exercise enough, have blood pressure on the high side, and really need to take better care of myself.

The summer before I went to law school, I got in shape. I went to Curves with my mother. Yeah, I know, Curves is for old folks and out-of-shape losers. That was my thought, too. However, last time I went, I also quit smoking and lost twenty pounds in two months. The best part about it is that I actually, you know, go to Curves. When I had gym membership, I never went. The lack of structure at the gym puts me in an amotivational state. The time commitment is too much. Curves, I go, I spend my thirty-five minutes, get my exercise, and but for the awful music (which I secretly enjoy, in a We Built This City sort of way), it's painless.

It's time. Again. It's time to get myself in better shape. I have an appointment for my weigh-in and measure-in tomorrow at 5:30. I am quitting smoking when my current pack is finished, or on Monday, whichever comes first. I am going to eat better, particularly at work. No more Dunkin' Donuts sandwiches for lunch. Time to change. What excitement.