Monday, September 17, 2007

Part II: My boyfriend is a nerd.

I quit smoking yesterday.

Of course, it doesn't really count as having quit since it's only been forty-eight hours. Quitting smoking is merely a lull in smoking and is not actual quitting until ninety days have passed. Anything short of that is the inchoate stages of quitting. It's pre-quitting. It's not-quite-quitting.

I digress.

I got home today and brought in the mail. Among the pieces of junk-mail was an envelope with only my first name written on it.

Ah-ha! Chris is at it again, I thought to myself.

I went into the kitchen and took the bottle of water I take to work every day but don't drink out of my bag. I saw an envelope on my kitchen table propped up by the salt shaker.

I carried both envelopes upstairs with me to my room. I wanted to change out of my suit before I read anything. And then I saw another envelope on my bed. So I took the three envelopes into my office/den so I could sit on my couch and read 'em. There on the coffee table was another.

He left me cards again, encouraging me to keep not-smoking.

He's the best.

1 comment:

Marissa Dupont said...

That's so awesome. Now you can insert any cheesey "keep up the good work!"/"you can do it!" type phrase, whatever suits you. Just know the sentiment behind it is genuine. :)