Tuesday, October 23, 2007

On rehydrating beef jerky.

We were supposed to have pizza at work on Friday. However, the natives were getting restless before lunchtime, and I was very hungry. Guy From Work and The Investigator were in my office when I decided to pull out my emergency bag of beef jerky. Lo and behold, someone had forgotten to seal the re-sealable Ziploc-esque seal. My jerky had gone stale.

"My jerky has gone stale," I announced.

"Jerky can't go stale," Guy From Work said. (He's a real know-it-all sometimes.)

I disagreed with him, and we got into a discussion on the merits and downfalls of stale jerky. Somewhere along the line, we decided to attempt to rehydrate the stale jerky.

I took a small piece of jerky, ran it under water, wrapped in a piece of paper towel, and put it in the microwave for twenty seconds.

The jerky did not rehydrate. It started smoking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can rehydrate jerky! I do it all the time. I spritz it with water and just let it sit until it soaks in. It will bring dried up jerky or over dehydrated jerky back to life!

Rarian Rakista said...

You can also shred it and add it to soup stock, I do it when I am on the trail.