Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sigh of relief.

I had a trial scheduled for today. My guy is a bit of a bombastic sort with a horrible, horrible, horrible record. The other side's witnesses showed up and I had a little chat with them. As I expected, they were well-dressed, good-looking, well-spoken: a nightmare for me. One of them was a fourteen-year-old boy all dolled up for court: the nightmare continues. My defense? Straight up Chewbacca. My client is currently under sentence on an unrelated charge our of a different district. So we decided to try a plea. They wanted a lot of time consecutive, we wanted less time concurrent. The judge (the best judge for disposition), split the baby and gave him a little time consecutive with some probation thrown in just to spice it all up. Even though it was more than I asked for, it was a great deal given the facts and my client's record. The client took it, sparing him a post-trial disposition where he more than likely would have been sentenced to more time.

Trial prep time: a gazillion lost moments. New pantyhose: $2.69. A sweet deal without trial: priceless.

(Ed note, I'd forgotten to eat beef jerky this morning, so I was concerned things would end badly.)

With that out of the way, my summertime lag begins right now. For the next two weeks, I have nothing stressful going on at work. I have a ton of office days coming up where I get to catch up on paperwork, jail visits, and, you know, actually constructing defenses.

The Bordello is complete. My lawn needs to be mowed, but I'm in such great spirits, I don't care. I'm young and in love is life is oh-so-wonderful. I feel like I should be waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop, but I'm in too fabulous a mood to even bother.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Paul Bourque said...

Did someone say that they were in Love??? Good for you!!!