Sunday, July 8, 2007

Reunion.

And so, my trip here to Sunny Columbus, Ohio is nearly over. The reunion has come and gone and I have come out unscathed.

Truth be known, I suppose it was better than I expected. My class was known for being the most apathetic and having less school spirit than any class before or since. The class of '97 just didn't really care; members of our class were too busy drinking wine coolers on our parents' basements and smoking sub-par weed. As for me personally? I was far too busy being angry and not fitting in.

Few people showed up; less than half the class was there (my class had approximately 135 people in it). Who didn't show? The really popular kids were the ones not in attendance for the most part. The trivial and petty part of me wants to believe that this is because they peaked in high school; maybe they did and maybe they didn't, and maybe I don't really care as much as I once did.

Nearly everyone looked the same. Almost all the women looked the same. Some didn't seem to have aged a day. The men changed more. The once-scrawny kid was hopped up on steroids. The little pothead kid looked good, but got irritatingly drunk and coked up. Two guys put on lots of weight; one looked like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man while the other one more closely resembled Jabba.

The cliques re-cliqued. The self-proclaimed popular kids sat at their own table, while everyone else mingled with one another. I'll talk to anyone, but I gave up on the people who walked away when I attempted to approach them. (Ed note: Our country has health care issues and poverty. War is going on around us. How are we going to all live together in peace and harmony if some douchebags can't even be cordial at a high school reunion?)

I was curious about everyone. And I got what I came for. I came back with awesome hair and a law degree (neither of which anyone EVER expected would happen). My curiosity is satisfied and I feel a lot better. I may not have fit in much in high school, but that seems to be the general consensus across the board. Some girls came back married baby-factories. Some boys came back married to baby-factories. I'm glad I'm not in their positions, but they all seemed happy enough.

As for my old friends I've lost touch with... we fell into the same routines we always had with each other as if no time had passed. And maybe that'll happen again when we see each other in another decade.

5 comments:

joshua said...

It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together by visiting and loving one another.

I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge (though you can use the translater BabelFish at the bottom of my page!) and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!

Jen said...

My reunion is next year and I wonder whether I'll go..

And if I do, it'll just be to show everyone that I have a law degree and look fabulous. Which isn't a very good reason to go back. That and see whether all the "popular" girls got fat.

Sigh.

SaucyVixen said...

Audacity:

I didn't look fabulous, but at least I had good hair, which is *something*, right? As it turns out, the popular girls who get fat don't show up. And the popular girls who do show up look EXACTLY the same. Damn bitches.

Paul Bourque said...

I haven't been to a single one of my reunions. Why?? Because all the people at my high school hated me, and to go and have to act all nice and phoney is way beyond me...
I just can't do it...

Anonymous said...

Yes, your hair was/is fabulous and I loved your skirt.

I think the theme for that weekend for some was "Once a Bitch, Always a Bitch".

It was good seeing you again.