Tuesday, April 3, 2007

McCommercials.

The other day I was at work and I was thinking about some of my favorite commercials from the 1980s. Upon reflection, I realized it was McDonald's that always had the best ones. As I mosied on down the hall on my way to the restroom I found myself singing, "And I would eat my fries myself and not give any to my dumb brother" to the tune of Fur Elise. (I always remember lyrics, remember). I sang the song all day.

McDonald's Commercial: Recital.

Or how about the McD's commercial with the douchebag kid who can't skate? I love that one when I was a kid. I identified with it. I, too, was an uncoordinated blond kid who garnered sympathy from animated animals. I still get goosebumps watching it.

McDonald's Commercial: Douchebag Kid Who Can't Ice Skate.


I've always loved McDonald's marketing folks. Every now and then they come up with something really stellar. Who was the genius who got back from his four-martini lunch and thought: Hey, you know what would be fabulous? Taking a classic song and bastardizing it to sell Big Macs!

McDonald's Commercial: Mac Tonight!

But the best -- BEST! -- McDonald's commercial ever was for the McDLT. You don't remember the McDLT? It's because it didn't last long. The premise was good, though: keep the burger hot and keep the lettuce and tomato cool. That way you get a quarter pound of beef on the hot, hot side and the hot stays hot. McD! Crisp lettuce and tomato on the cool, cool side and the cool stays cool. McD! The beef stays hot. The cool stays crisp. But it together, you can't resist.

But you know what's even harder to resist? Jason Alexander singing about burgers.

McDonald's Commercial: McDLT.

1 comment:

Paul Bourque said...

I still cant believe that it's George from Sienfeld doing a song and dance about burgers....Talk about campy :)