Thursday, December 13, 2007

Spinal tap update.

Okay, so it's not all rainbows and gumdrops.

I felt a-okay on Tuesday, and so I went downstairs, took out the trash, made myself lunch for the next day, and tinkered about for an hour or so. After which, I had a raging pressure headache.

Yesterday, I woke up to go to work. Showered, got dressed. Then realized that the headache from standing or sitting upright was causing severe nausea. So I called the doctor's office. They told me to stay on my back and drink plenty of caffeine, take Tylenol, and stay hydrated. I explained the nausea, and the doc called in a prescription for anti-nausea meds.

I slept for about an hour thereafter, and woke up feeling sick, sick, sick. Picked up the meds at the pharmacy and took one. Which didn't help with the projectile vomiting. So I called Chris all upset, having convinced myself that I was dying from lack of a stomach lining. He came over and fed me soup and crackers and tea and flat Diet Coke. Which was awesome for him.

The problem? I missed another day of work yesterday, and am not going in today because of the pressure. Which I normally wouldn't mind so much, except that this was supposed to be my first full week of work. AND I'm leaving next Friday for a week to visit my parents. I suppose it's good that with my handy-dandy Mac laptop, I can still type and be flat on my back. Cool, huh? (Don't let that conjure up any unsavory images.)

The moral of this story?

Nope, there isn't one. Except that spinal taps suck and make you miss work.

3 comments:

Petition For Review said...

When I had my spinal tap the pain was so bad they gave me caffeine through an IV. After Tylenol and Advil did nothing they gave me some real pain meds. If you are still in serious pain I recommend you call your doctor and demand fioricet. You won't be able to get any work done because it makes you stupid, but you will be happy and pain free.

redbird said...

Awww...sorry you feel so crappy. Stupid question: what about a spinal tap makes you get pressure headaches? Sounds terrible.

Be thankful you have health insurance, at least!

beth slack said...

Hey...sorry that this has thrown you for such a loop. Take care!