Sunday, February 3, 2008

Gettin' hitched, but not "engaged."

My boyfriend has a Facebook account.

I refuse to have a Facebook account.

If I did, however (have a Facebook account, that is), I would know that he has listed his relationship status as "engaged."

Truth is, Chris and I decided to get married sometime back in December. In an effort to assuage my nerves prior to my spinal tap, we planned the hypothetical wedding. We will have no ceremony. Instead, we'll just do it up at the courthouse where religion won't be an issue. There will be no bridesmaids or groomsmen at the reception. I will wear purple instead of white. We will have a make-your-own sundae bar instead of a wedding cake. And so on and so forth.

I did not care much about a formal proposal. It's romantic, sure, and would be nice, I suppose, but it's never been that important to me. I figured we would elect to get married (which we did), tell the appropriate people, do the legal stuff, and throw a not-too-fancy, not-too-expensive, but fun-for-the-ages party when the time is right. That would be that.

But no. My betrothed wants a formal proposal. He wants a ring exchange of sorts (sans diamond, of course, since we're so socially conscious). I told him that so long as the proposal includes chocolate cake with green frosting, I'll accept his formal proposal whenever he decides to make it.

In the meantime, however, I refuse to call ourselves "engaged," regardless of what his Facebook profile says. If he wants to propose, then he's gotta play by the rules; we are not engaged until I say yes.

4 comments:

Marissa Dupont said...

Oooh, stepping it up a notch with the green frosting, eh? :D That's awesome.

SaucyVixen said...

It's literary imagery, man. From the song MacArthur Park:

All the sweet, green icing flowing...
Someone left a cake out in the rain.
I don't think that I can take it.
'Cause it took so long to bake it.
And I'll never have that recipe again.
Oh, oooooh!

redbird said...

Congrats!

I love facebook! It's the new blog!

Miss Conduct PDX said...

Remember: Twice a day whether you need it or not.