Sunday, August 5, 2007

Put yer body in motion!

I interned for the public defender's office back between my first and second years of law school. I had a grand old time spending the majority of the summer helping out with a very complex trial that had our guy exposed to something like 65 years. After he was acquitted of four of the five charges, I was tasked with writing a motion for a new trial based on a lack of sufficiency of the evidence. It was, as one would imagine, quite fact-specific. And so I spent my days hunched over transcripts of the trial and pre-trial hearings, as well as my own trial notes.

When I needed a break, I would try to think of songs and song lyrics with the word "motion" in 'em. Here are some of the things I came up with:

The Locomotion

What's love got to do with it? What's love, but a second hand emotion?

If you feel like giving me a lifetime of devotion, I second that emotion.

Not a very extensive list.

I'm open to further input.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't OMD do a song that had "state of locomotion" in it?

Paul Bourque said...

What about the theme song to "St. Elmo's Fire," didn't that say something about a "man in motion?"

Sean Polay said...

Couldn't find an e-mail address on your blog, so am posting to your comments. Apologies for this method.

Given that your blog has a public defender themes, I wanted to call your attention to a story from the Cape Cod Times today about public defenders:

http://capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070808/NEWS/708080314

In doing so, I wondered if I could call your attention to stories from our Massachusetts newspapers from time to time that might make good blog material for you? We're hoping that by alerting bloggers to stories relevant to the blog theme, we can be helpful to you in generating content ideas, while also giving us another avenue by which to build our local audiences.

If you agree this could mutually beneficial, what is your preferred method of notification?

Thanks,
Sean Polay
Director of Internet Audience Development
Ottaway: The Local Media Group of Dow Jones
spolay@ottaway.com