Monday, August 13, 2007

Nature be damned.

I bought a lawnmower. When I first moved into my new house, I bought a lawnmower. Because I have little money, I decided to get one of those non-gas, non-electric manual push-mowers. Think 1950's styled machine. The sort of mower my old Jewish grandfather would have pushed if he hadn't been an immigrant peddler living in a rundown tenement in the Bronx.

I pretend to be all environmentally conscious. "It's green. It's good for the earth." Truth is, I only bought it because it was less expensive and I didn't want to have to fuss with gas cans or worry about running over an extension cord. But I hate the damned thing. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Hate it.

First off, it doesn't do a good job. It doesn't cut the multitude of weeds that sprout up on my lawn. Once I've finished mowing, my backyard looks like the face of a pubescent boy who just learned to shave, with hairy little tufts appearing hither and yon. Every now and then, it just stops. The wheels stop spinning and I have to hit and butt the thing to get it going again.

Be that as it may, it's not the mower I hate the most. It's my pear tree.

Oh but how can you hate a pear tree? I can hear the collective gasp from my faithful readers already. Hate a pear tree?? And we were under the misconception that what with your manual mower you were green and earth-friendly! Hate a pear tree... ::mumble mumble::

Judge me if you will. But I hate my pear tree, my not-hurting-anyone, kind-to-all-human-beings iteration-of-The-Giving-Tree, my shade-providing-affection-seeking pear tree. I hate it. And here's why:

Yesterday afternoon I decided that instead of writing motions that were due today, I would mow my lawn. Nothing like home improvement to put off doing real work. So I went outside. And what did I see on the ground? Pears all over the place. With bugs aloft each one. Fruit flies, bumblebees, yellow jackets, gnats, mosquitoes, and big-ole-regular-nasty-disease-carrying black flies. Each piece of fruit had an infestation of insects crawling about. So what did I do? I got the hose. Wait. That's not entirely true. I spent a good deal of time untangling the hose.

With the hose, I shot the bugs off. I picked up each mushy, rotten piece of sour fruit (I know; I tasted a pear from that tree once) and threw it in a trash bag. After an hour, the fruit was picked up. But the lawn was wet. So I put off the mowing until this afternoon.

I got home from work, threw on my shorts, a tank top and my pink 'Roos. I went out in the backyard. And what was I greeted with? More fallen fruit than yesterday. With at least thrice as many insects. Learning my lesson from yesterday, I darted about picking up the pieces that the vultures hadn't gotten to. The really bug-ridden pears I left on the ground. And proceeded to mow the lawn.

I saved the pear-tree-area until the end. I attempted to mow around it. One particularly irate bee followed me and stung my ankle. So I gave up.

What do I have now? A patchy mess of nature. The rest of the lawn looks like crap anyway -- like the aforementioned face of 13-year-old boy who can't shave to save his life. And a huge circle of grass around the tree is uncut. Just sitting there, gather more rotten fruit and more oh-so-happy and sated bugs.

Totally discouraged, I decided to save the front yard until tomorrow. I'm drenched in sweat, have a welt on my ankle, and my seasonal allergies are running amok. I have work to do, but I'm taking a shower before I do anything else. Maybe that'll put me in a better and more earth friendly mood.

But right now? I hate nature.

4 comments:

merry said...

Oh, the joys of home ownership. I remember fighting thistle, all covered up in 90-degree weather. The more I pulled, the more I sprayed, the more it would grow.

redbird said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
redbird said...

M. has one of those mowers, and she has to use a weed wacker too, cause yeah, they suck at cutting weeds. It is sort of a mow and wack combo job. Also, they work better if the grass isn't too high.

Unknown said...

Let me save you some time: sell your house. Move back to an apartment.

Or let your lawn go wild.

OR, and this is the most work,

completely reseed your lawn with meadow grasses and flowers. That way you don't have to mow.

Also, yeah, I tried the push-mower thing. It works if you have a small lawn that is incredibly well maintained. That means no twigs, no bumps, no thick patches. You basically have to have a perfect manicured lawn in order to use the push mower. Sucks.