Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Courtesy.

If someone you hadn't heard from in years e-mailed you out of nowhere, wouldn't you write back? Wouldn't you write back out of curiosity if nothing else? People's lack of curiosity (as well as their lack of so-called "common" courtesy) depresses me.

Once or twice a year I e-mail my college boyfriend. We met ten years ago, broke up eight years ago, and haven't seen each other in six years. But has he ever responded to any of the twelve-or-so e-mails I've sent over the last six years? Nope. Why? The answer is simple: He lacks courtesy and curiosity, and could give a shit about anyone but himself (not that this has changed since I knew him). In short: He's a douchebag. Our breakup was as amicable as one can be when the participants of the doomed relationship are twenty years old. If someone I'd not heard from in years e-mailed me -- especially if that someone was a person I purported to be in love with at one time -- I would totally write back. My morbid fascination with the unknown wouldn't allow me not to respond.

3 comments:

Marissa Dupont said...

Maybe he's using another email address now?

redbird said...

Hmm...maybe he is married and has no interest in hearing what you are up to. Maybe he likes to imagine that you have spent the past 8 years pining over him and his penis and to read your e-mails would spoil the fantasy for him. Or, yes, maybe he changed e-mails.

I think you should stop e-mailing old non-responsive ex-boyfriends and start meeting new men and having new sex.

Oh, if you would cave to peer pressure and accept my e-invite to facebook, you would see Molly is active in the facebook world. In fact, she asked to be my friend and messaged me twice last week. She is living in California and working a semi-boring job in PR. She will be at the reunion. You should join facebook and then you can see her pics and then channel this e-mailing frenzy into cyber-stalking her on facebook. Oh, and I think you're cuter.

Jen said...

Ah.. I'm that person.

I dated a guy for four years, we broke up when I was 20 (nearly 7 years ago). He emails me once a year. Sometimes I respond, sometimes I don't.

He's got a wife and a child. And he's not happy in his marriage, the last thing I want is to be dragged into that hellion.